Beadnell Boat Club was formed in 1935 after a very successful Regatta in the bay. Major Burton GC OBE was elected Captain at the first AGM and Sir John Craster was President. In 1939 a Clubhouse was proposed, and a building fund started, but due to obvious world events it was not until 1952 that the land was bought. The Clubhouse was officially opened by the then President, Miss Mary Runciman in 1955.
In 1948 the name of the club was changed to The Beadnell Sailing Club.
The first boats were a mixture of wooden sailing dinghies and moored sailing vessels. Members sailing included the families of Brown, Wright, Hoult, Scott, Baty, Hogg, Garrett, Porteous, Cook, Clements, Watson, Armstrong and Forster. Many of these families are still members three generations on!
By the 1950’s new classes of dinghy were appearing at the Club such as Burnham 12’s and 14’s, Merlin Rocket, National 12’s. Open meetings were organised every year and attracted 50-70 boats.
Unlike many other Northumberland clubs, Beadnell has always been a ‘weekend and summer holiday only’ club, with members using their weekend houses or staying with friends.
In the 1960’s the class racing dinghies were Enterprises, National 12’s, GP14’s, and Burham 12’s. There were many other boats sailed including Wayfarers, Herons, Gulls and the moorings had open dayboats such as Northumberland and Thames Estuary One Designs, Osprey, National 18’s, Seafly and the Silhouette and Alacrity bilge keelers. There was keen competition every weekend and members travelled to meetings at other clubs.
The 1970’s brought a new generation of sailors and new boats: Otters, Lasers and International 14 dinghies, and amongst the moored craft, Vivacity 20’s and Sandhoppers.
In 1979 Beadnell Sailing Club undertook the mammoth task of organising the International 14 Prince Of Wales Cup Week. Most helmsmen of these boats had never been North of Scarborough! The spirit of the Club was such that virtually every member took their holidays to help in the organisation. This was commented on in the sailing press of the time!
The 1980’s started with an upsurge in moored craft and racing was organised in the bay and along the coast. Many boats visited Holy Island on a regular basis so the Club established mooring there and still holds an annual weekend meet at the Island.
As the Club has grown, the Clubhouse has been extended in all directions: first the galley, then the Wetroom and then the decking. All building work has been financed by members’ fundraising efforts.
We also support the RNLI with an annual fundraising day and have raised many thousands of pounds over the years, a fact acknowledged by the receipt of an RNLI Vellum certificate of thanks.
Sailing Week was started as an idea in 1963 and has been a favourite for 50 years! Activities are arranged for all ages, with evening social events and a non-stop Regatta on the final Saturday with sand castles, beach games and culminating in the Regatta Cup in the afternoon, and a party to finish the day.